Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Nowhere else I would rather be

What a week it has been, and it's only Tuesday! I've been so busy running around and working that I haven't even had time to think lately. It's easy sometimes to let life get in the way. Tonight I found myself wishing my week away and wanting it to be Friday. Even though I shouldn't wish my life away, I'm looking forward to having a free Saturday and getting to rest. I need to recharge. Somewhere in the midst of all the chaos, I can't help but be thankful. Yes, the past two weeks have completely worn me out with program changes, new classes, training, taking on more responsibility, etc., but I can't think of anywhere else in the world I would rather be right now. I have decided to stay in Korea a second year and I'm very excited about my decision. A lot of people come to Korea and hate it. It is such a cultural shock that it can be hard to adjust to. It's especially hard not speaking the language or being able to even read it. The language is a very small part of the culture shock though. Every thing about this place is very different from the western world. The apartments are different, the western luxuries(like having a bathtub and dishwasher) are no longer an option, and the attitudes of the people are so different here. They see the world very differently. They don't think outside of the box too often and most of the children are taught not to as well. They are taught that having one unified way of doing everything is the best way. So of course, being a foreigner, automatically gets you lots of attention and stares. At first it was really strange, but now I'm used to it. As crazy as it may seem, I'm fascinated by this place. I have learned more about myself and what I'm capable of. I'm sure it has something to do with being an ocean away from my family and everything I know, but either way, I do think I see the world a little differently than I used to. I've learned to live without so many things, and realize that I don't need as much as I thought I did. I have lived nine months without a cell phone. At first I hated it, but now I feel like it has been liberating. My life doesn't seem as complicated as before. I never in a million years thought I would ever be living on the opposite side of the world, but now that I am, I can't imagine it any other way right now. I feel like I have purpose in my life. I know didn't get here by accident. I'm so excited about what the future holds here for me. I have so much to learn and I want to soak it all in. Even during weeks such as this one where I feel exhausted and overworked, I still can't help but find happiness and peace because I know this is where I belong.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you. You are truly experiencing what it feels like to follow God's plan for your life. The peace you feel living so far from home is a peace that only God can give when you are completely out of your comfort zone. Praying for you today. Love you,
    Mary Martha

    ReplyDelete